At Severn Beach Primary we actively promote the British values of:
• the rule of law
• individual liberty
• mutual respect
• tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
In all aspects of school life these British values are communicated, delivered and brought to life through our:
· Collective worship programme
· Creative curriculum, including PSHE lessons and assemblies based on SEAL (Social, Emotional Aspects of Learning)
· Young Leadership opportunities
· Behaviour Policy
Our School values are:
· Holding elections for school council
· Using school council to contribute to school improvement
· Visits/visitors linked to local councils
· Understanding the role of governors
· Children encouraged to explain their thinking and justify decisions
· Opportunities to share ideas, take part in debates, developing an empathy and understanding for the views of others.
· Democracy taught as part of topics
The Rule of Law
· Clear behavior policy shared and consistently implemented
· Pupils are taught from an early age the rules of the class and school.
· Pupils are taught the value and reasons behind rules, the responsibilities that this involves and the consequences when laws are broken.
· Visits from authorities such as the Police and Fire Service help reinforce this message.
· Clear boundaries are provided for pupils whilst also being provided with opportunities to express their personal freedom of choice
· Pupils are actively encouraged to make informed choices, within a safe, supportive environment.
· Stereotypes are challenged
· Mutual respect is at the heart of our values. We wholeheartedly believe that all in the school community should model respect, treating each other in the way that we ourselves would like to be treated.
· Inclusive education for all
· Delivery of a PSHE curriculum that enables everyone to consider the impact of their choices on others, exploring ways to show respect to all
Tolerance of those of Different Faiths and Beliefs
· Delivery of an RE curriculum that encompasses all major faiths including Christianity, promoting diversity and tolerance
· Visits/visitors linked to major faiths planned and encouraged to enhance learning